There are few things more comforting than a warm pastry paired with a hot beverage to start your day, and we think we may have dialed the most splendid manifestation of this ritual with a special cinnamon-filled coffee cake made with our best-selling Herbal Coffee.
Why Herbal Coffee? If you're looking to break up with coffee, allow us to introduce you to your rebound. Herbal Coffee is our caffeine-free coffee alternative that features microbiome-friendly, prebiotic roots (like maca) and invigorating herbs (like dandelion and chicory) to start your mornings off right. Don't conform to the coffee norm, and say bye to the caffeine jitters.
We recommend doubling up on your Herbal Coffee enjoyment by pairing your just-out-of-the-oven-cozy coffee cake with a roasty, delicious Herbal Coffee latte.
But without further adieu, the recipe!
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) plant-based salted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plain non-dairy plain yogurt or non-dairy sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brewed Herbal Coffee
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cold plant-based butter, grated
- 6 ounces non dairy cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until combined. Add the sour cream and vanilla, beating until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Slowly mix in the Herbal Coffee until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- To make the streusel. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add the butter and use your fingers to mix the butter into the flour until a crumble forms.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the batter. Then, gently dollop the warmed cream cheese over the batter and spread in an even layer. Spoon the remaining batter over the cream cheese in an even layer. Top evenly with the buttery streusel mix.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 30 minutes and then invert the cake onto a plate, flipping it back upright onto a serving plate.