Photo courtesy of Erin Lovell Verinder
Our Fire Cider is a traditional extract of some of our favorite warming herbs in raw apple cider vinegar lovingly sweetened with raw mountain honey. Raw apple cider vinegar can be traced back to ancient Babylonia where people used it as a health-giving condiment and preservative. The healthful bacteria present in this ferment are kicked up a notch with the addition of some of our favorite healing plants. Our Fire Cider is buzzing with beneficial nutrients that fuel the immune system, kindle digestion, and spark the circulatory system. Warming roots, fruits, and leaves including ginger, garlic, onion, horseradish, rosemary, thyme, and cayenne pepper impart a spicy kick.
- Ginger chases cold from the body by helping to move blood out from the center of your body to warm you from head to toe.
- Garlic is beneficial to the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, helping to support circulation and respiratory health.
- Onion is a nutrient-dense vegetable that promotes cardiovascular health.
- Horseradish delivers the nutrients your immune system needs to stay ready for whatever comes its way.
- Rosemary is a gentle immune system and cerebral stimulant.
- Thyme works to help keep your respiratory system free and clear, so you can breathe easy.
- Cayenne packs a lot of punch as a tiny pepper that helps to protect the digestive system and increase circulation.
The brilliance of Fire Cider comes from one of our beloved herbal elders, Rosemary Gladstar. In the 1970s while teaching at the California School of Herbal Studies (which she also founded), Gladstar worked with her students to develop an immune tonic: something that could be taken daily to help fight the chill off the damp winters of Northern California. They settled on a combination of affordable, accessible medicinal kitchen plants like ginger, garlic, horseradish, and onion that support the immune system. They extracted the healing foods in apple cider vinegar and sweetened the alcohol-free tincture with honey. They called it “fire cider” and it became a traditional remedy loved by many because it was easy to replicate and adjust according to taste preferences and access to healing plants.
We love taking Fire Cider daily to prepare for the damp and cold that descends during the winter months. Seasonally speaking, things slow down, including the systems in our own bodies. It can make a big difference to gently light an internal fire every day. Boosting the body’s natural health-processes should be tasty and full of ease! We love to take a spoonful straight from the bottle. We also add it to a bowl full of bone broth, mix it with olive oil, a touch of dijon mustard, to use as salad dressings, or add it to tomato juice to make a zesty virgin Blood Mary or spike your sparkling water! This remedy is full of common medicinal food herbs and is meant to be taken as a daily tonic to support balance across multiple systems in your body. When the days get damp and dark, Fire Cider gently ignites and fuels the immune, digestive, and circulatory system.